PhD/MSc by Research Biomedical Sciences
The Biomedical Sciences programme from University of Birmingham will provide you with skills necessary to contribute to research that explores the science of the human body and the causes of diseases that affect humankind.
|Duration:||1 year (Full-Time MSc by Research)
2 years (Part-Time MSc by Research)
3 years (Full-Time PhD)
6 years (Part-Time PhD)
|Location:||Birmingham, United Kingdom|
As part of the School of Biomedical Science, you will work alongside researchers at the leading edge of their field and take advantage of our well-established links with major national centres for research and the local NHS. Our modern facilities, laboratories and prosectorium are well equipped to help you develop your knowledge of the subject through hands on practical tasks and inter-professional working.
This Biomedical Sciences programme from University of Birmingham will give you the quality research training you need to enable you to conduct independent investigative research and you will work closely with your supervisory team who will help you clarify your project and support your development. Your thesis will represent an original contribution to knowledge and demonstrate independent judgement.
When you join your programme you will become part of the Graduate School within the College of Medical and Dental Sciences giving you access to:
- Supervision from leading academics to support you through your research programme including research techniques and training.
- Training and development courses to enable you to gain research and generic (transferable) training skills
- Opportunities to attend and take part in Research Poster festivals and other postgraduate activities to boost your academic and networking skills
- An allocated academic mentor so you can access pastoral support
- State-of-the art facilities to support a range of teaching, learning and research activity with access to dedicated write up rooms, libraries, and computer facilities.
“The transition from undergrad to postgrad can be a big step up in terms of workload and what is expected of you, but there is so much support available to you as a postgrad student, from academic writing support (if you’ve been out of education for a few years or just want a bit of extra help) to mental health and wellbeing services. The careers support is fantastic – the uni puts on employer fairs throughout the year and you have access to one on one support from the Careers Network team, who can help you develop your skills ready for your next step!”
Emma Sutton // PhD Psychology
We have a global reputation for producing sought after graduates and are:
- Ranked 1st as being the most targeted University by top graduate recruiters in the 2021 UK High Fliers Research report.
- 11th for employability in the Guardian University Guide 2021.
- Ranked as 85th in the world for employer reputation by QS World University rankings.
- Listed as 10th in the UK in The Global Employability University Ranking 2020 in the Times Higher Education, which lists the top 250 universities most frequently selected by global employers.
In the College of Medical and Dental Sciences our Times Graduate Prospects score (based on the 2017/18 Graduate Outcomes survey) is 95.1% for UK First Degree graduates, rising to 96.4% in graduate-level work or study for Postgraduate Researchers 15 months after leaving. Across all respondents to the Graduate Outcomes survey from MDS, over 95% agreed that their activity post-graduation was ‘meaningful’, with 93% stating that their ambitions were ‘on track’.
A high proportion of our postgraduate research students go onto roles such as Research fellow/ postdoctoral researcher, medical writer, scientist/ research scientist in the pharmaceutical industry, and clinical trial coordinator.