MSc Responsible Data Science
The Responsible Data Science at University of Birmingham will equip law graduates and current practising legal professionals with the skills needed to identify these issues and respond thoughtfully to the regulatory challenges they raise.
|Full-Time Duration:||1 year|
|Tuition Fee:||£21,960 per full|
|Location:||Birmingham, United Kingdom|
The Responsible Data Science at University of Birmingham will consist of six fundamental core modules, group and solo project work and a supervised work placement, which will develop your understanding of the cutting-edge contemporary challenges raised by data science and some of the broader social, democratic and ethical issues that they may implicate.
Employability is at the forefront of the MSc in Responsible Data Science. Developed in collaboration with industry partners, the MSc aims to fill a skills gap in the sector. The ability to interpret and apply computer science-related skills, whilst critically understanding the legal and ethical impact of their work is integral to the future of the legal and commercial industry, and our Msc will give you these skills.
- Summer Maths Bootcamp
- Programming for data science
- Algorithms for data science
- Storing and managing data
- Regulating Technology
- Contemporary Case Studies in the Governance of Complex Socio-technical Systems
- Data Visualisation
“The transition from undergrad to postgrad can be a big step up in terms of workload and what is expected of you, but there is so much support available to you as a postgrad student, from academic writing support (if you’ve been out of education for a few years or just want a bit of extra help) to mental health and wellbeing services. The careers support is fantastic – the uni puts on employer fairs throughout the year and you have access to one on one support from the Careers Network team, who can help you develop your skills ready for your next step!”
Emma Sutton // PhD Psychology
Why study this course?
- Created in collaboration with industry and in partnership with Accenture, the MSc Responsible Data Science has the backing of top legal firms who will support the development of the programme, offering paid work experience as part of the degree. These include international firms such as Allen & Overy, Baker McKenzie, Eversheds Sutherlands, Fieldfisher, and Lewis Silkin.
- Pursue a programme of study developed by world-leading academics including Professor Karen Yeung, Interdisciplinary Professorial Fellow in Law, Ethics and Informatics.
- Develop a ground-breaking interdisciplinary mind-set that fuses innovations in data science with the development of legal and other critical analytic skills needed to advise organisations on how data-driven technologies can be developed and implemented in a socially responsible manner.
- Develop a speciality in the new and developing field of ‘Responsible Data Science’ with the opportunity to carve your expertise through industry projects and placements.
- Build your network from day one with personalised careers coaching provided by our award-winning careers service and mentorship with our partner firms.
Applicants should have a good Law Honours degree or considerable comparable professional experience and have an understanding of applied mathematics via A in A-Level Mathematics (or equivalent). Applicants with a lower maths qualification will be considered, and if successful, will be required to pass an intensive on-campus Maths Bootcamp before beginning the programme.