MSc Molecular Biotechnology
The Molecular Biotechnology programme from University of Birmingham provides you with training in the skills and specialised knowledge needed to equip you for a career in molecular biotechnology in industry or academia.
|Full-Time Duration:||1 year|
|Tuition Fee:||£26,640 per full|
|Location:||Birmingham, United Kingdom|
- Focuses on the molecular and cellular aspects of biotechnology
- Includes material on fermentation, process and downstream engineering, and business aspects
- A mixture of taught material and lab-based research projects
- Teaching and research at one of the UK’s top Schools of Biosciences
Who is this programme aimed at?
- Those looking for a future in a biotechnology or an other life sciences related industry
- Those interested in pursuing a research career in life sciences in industry or academia
- Those returning from industry to obtain higher qualifications
- Biotechnology: From Genes to Products
- Research Techniques in Molecular Biotechnology
- Practical Applications of Molecular Biotechnology
- Functional Genomics and Reverse Genetics
- Funding and Communicating Science
- Pharmaceuticals and Therapeutic Biologicals from Bench to Market
- Research Project
“The transition from undergrad to postgrad can be a big step up in terms of workload and what is expected of you, but there is so much support available to you as a postgrad student, from academic writing support (if you’ve been out of education for a few years or just want a bit of extra help) to mental health and wellbeing services. The careers support is fantastic – the uni puts on employer fairs throughout the year and you have access to one on one support from the Careers Network team, who can help you develop your skills ready for your next step!”
Emma Sutton // PhD Psychology
Graduates from this programme will be well-placed for future careers in the biotechnology, pharmaceutical, biomedical and other science-based industries, many of which are undergoing a period of rapid international growth.
The programme was designed in consultation with a senior scientist in a global pharmaceutical company, and includes relevant applied elements such as modules on product development and business plans, in addition to those covering the scientific aspects of the subject.
This programme is designed for UK and international graduates who have an appropriate Life Sciences background, with a suitable degree in the Biological Sciences, Biochemistry or Biomedical Sciences. Graduates should have a minimum of a lower second class Honours degree (or the equivalent from outside the UK) in a Biosciences subject including at least 40 credits or equivalent of appropriate molecular biology (including gene cloning) and some genetics as part of their first degree.