MSc Financial Technology
Be part of the next generation of professionals in big data management, computer programming and key theories in finance with our cutting-edge Financial Technology MSc from University of Birmingham.
|Full-Time Duration:||1 year|
|Tuition Fee:||£30,030 per year|
|Location:||Birmingham, United Kingdom|
The Financial Technology from University of Birmingham has been created for talented graduates and professionals with experience in financial services, treasury management, science and technology. The course will be especially relevant to:
- top-performing graduates in finance, economics, science and engineering
- those currently employed in finance and FinTech who wish to develop their expertise
- those with a related academic background who wish to develop their skills in this sector
Why study this course at Birmingham?
Birmingham is the second-largest city in the UK for finance companies. The Midlands has been identified as a major growth hub for FinTech and is already thriving, with over 100 firms currently operating in the sector. London, the global financial capital, is less than 2 hours away. Our strong relationships with key employers in the financial sector give you the chance to meet and network with leading global organisations. We are ranked number one for being targeted by the top UK employers (High Fliers Research 2021).
- Big Data Management in Finance
- Block Chain Technologies, Financial Applications and Cyber Security
- Corporate Finance
- Portfolio Theory and Investment Analysis
- Programming for Data Science
- Individual Project
- Private Equity and Venture Finance
- Risk Management in Financial Markets
“The transition from undergrad to postgrad can be a big step up in terms of workload and what is expected of you, but there is so much support available to you as a postgrad student, from academic writing support (if you’ve been out of education for a few years or just want a bit of extra help) to mental health and wellbeing services. The careers support is fantastic – the uni puts on employer fairs throughout the year and you have access to one on one support from the Careers Network team, who can help you develop your skills ready for your next step!”
Emma Sutton // PhD Psychology
Graduates will leave Birmingham perfectly placed to take up key FinTech roles in banks, investment institutions, insurance companies, pension funds, government institutions and consultancy. We also provide ongoing careers support for international students who wish to work in the UK after graduation.
- In order to be considered, applicants will have or should be expecting to achieve an Honours degree (2:1 or higher) or postgraduate diploma from a UK university (or overseas equivalent) in a highly quantitative subject (such as Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Economics, Finance or Science).
- Applicants must also have obtained GCE A-Level grade A (or overseas equivalent) in Mathematics, or be proficient in probability, calculus, algebra or real analysis at undergraduate level. If necessary we will assess the latter by looking at the academic transcript for performance in mathematical, quantitative and statistics related modules. Good programming skills and/or two years relevant work experience are not strict requirements but will add weight to an application.
- Applicants who demonstrate being able to exceed the minimum entry requirements will be given preference.