MEd Educational Leadership
This distinctive, evidence-focused Educational Leadership Masters course from University of Birmingham builds on National Professional Qualifications to develop capacity for leadership and expert practice in schools. It is designed for those aiming to make a difference through leadership that is focused on learning and school improvement.
|Part-Time Duration:||2 years|
|Location:||Birmingham, United Kingdom|
The knowledge and experience you will gain from the course will place you in an ideal position to inform future improvement and make a difference to the overall performance of your school. It will enhance your ability to lead school improvement by using research and evidence to develop, and in some cases, challenge current practices.
On the Educational Leadership Masters course from University of Birmingham you will:
- Engage with leading academics and expert local school leaders;
- Be part of a research-informed community which harnesses cutting-edge and seminal research literature and conducts research and enquiry to review and improve practice and school improvement initiatives;
- Develop capacity for rigorous and critical analysis of evidence from research and evidence from practice in improving schools;
- Develop your own specialist areas of expertise through research, leadership enquiry and other practice-focused assignments.
- The Educational Leadership course is part of the Education Leadership Academy which supports inclusive, values-driven leadership in schools across the world.
- Understanding School Improvement
- Leadership for School Improvement
- Educational Policy and Improving Schools
“The transition from undergrad to postgrad can be a big step up in terms of workload and what is expected of you, but there is so much support available to you as a postgrad student, from academic writing support (if you’ve been out of education for a few years or just want a bit of extra help) to mental health and wellbeing services. The careers support is fantastic – the uni puts on employer fairs throughout the year and you have access to one on one support from the Careers Network team, who can help you develop your skills ready for your next step!”
Emma Sutton // PhD Psychology
This course is designed to provide a firm basis in theory and evidence for new and aspiring leaders in education. This leadership may be exercised in schools, colleges or administrating authorities or roles providing support for school improvement. Leadership may be in the form of direct responsibility for organisational strategy and practice or it may come in the form of leading professional development.
With a strong focus on connecting research to practice and using and analysing evidence, this course also provides a firm basis for students wishing to pursue further study on EdD and PhD programmes.
This is a ‘fast track’ professional learning programme which requires students to have prior experience and understanding of educational leadership.
All applicants are required to:
- be currently working in a teaching, leadership or school support role;
- have a National Professional Qualification (NPQ), equivalent professional experience, or equivalent M-level credits related to school improvement and educational leadership;
- hold a good first degree, diplomas or other relevant qualifications.