MA Modern British Studies
Immerse yourself in the transformation of British society, culture and politics from the mid-nineteenth century with the Modern British Studies programme from University of Birmingham.
|Duration:||1 year (Full-Time)
2 years (Part-Time)
|Tuition Fee:||£21,150 per year|
|Location:||Birmingham, United Kingdom|
The Modern British Studies programme from University of Birmingham is delivered through the Centre for Modern British Studies , while you will benefit from the expertise of a large number of British historians at Birmingham, who will both teach on the programme and provide expert supervision for your dissertation.
- Capital Lives: Experiencing the City in Eighteenth- and Nineteenth- Century Britain
- Reason and Romance: The Cultural History of Nineteenth-Century Britain
- Gross Indecency to Gay Marriage? Gender and Sexual Minorities 1885 to the Present
- ‘A Holiday from Reality’: A History of Drugs and Drug Use in the Modern Era
- Britain’s Wars of Colonisation and Decolonisation
- Sex and Sexualities in the Modern British World
- Body Politics
“The transition from undergrad to postgrad can be a big step up in terms of workload and what is expected of you, but there is so much support available to you as a postgrad student, from academic writing support (if you’ve been out of education for a few years or just want a bit of extra help) to mental health and wellbeing services. The careers support is fantastic – the uni puts on employer fairs throughout the year and you have access to one on one support from the Careers Network team, who can help you develop your skills ready for your next step!”
Emma Sutton // PhD Psychology
You will be encouraged to make the most of your postgraduate experience and will have the opportunity to:
- Receive one-to-one careers advice, including guidance on your job applications, writing your CV and improving your interview technique, whether you are looking for a career inside or outside of academia
- Meet employers face-to-face at on-campus recruitment fairs and employer presentations
- Attend an annual programme of careers fairs, skills workshops and conferences, including bespoke events for postgraduates in the College of Arts and Law
- Take part in a range of activities to demonstrate your knowledge and skills to potential employers and enhance your CV
- You will make your application to our MA History programme. If you would like to specialise in Modern British Studies, you will indicate this at the module choice process upon entry onto the programme.