MA Education (Leadership)
The Education (Leadership) programme from University of Birmingham is a distinctive, evidence-focused Masters programme that develops capacity for leadership and expert practice in schools. This pathway is designed for those who want to make a difference through leadership that is focused on learning and school improvement.
|Part-Time Duration:||2 years|
|Starting in:||January, September|
|Tuition Fee:||£25,086 per year|
|Location:||Dubai, United Arab Emirates|
The knowledge and experience gained from the Education (Leadership) programme from the University of Birmingham will place you in an ideal position to inform school improvement and make a difference within your leadership context.
It will enhance your ability to lead school improvement by using research and evidence to develop and in some cases, challenge current practices.
On the MA Educational Leadership programme you will:
- Engage with leading academics and expert school leaders from an international context;
- Be part of a research-informed community which harnesses cutting-edge and seminal research literature and conducts research and enquiry to review and improve practice and school improvement initiatives;
- Develop capacity for rigorous and critical analysis of evidence from research and evidence from practice in improving schools;
- Develop your own specialist areas of expertise through research, leadership enquiry and other practice-focused assignments.
- Understanding School Improvement
- Leadership for School Improvement
- Educational Policy and Improving Schools
“The transition from undergrad to postgrad can be a big step up in terms of workload and what is expected of you, but there is so much support available to you as a postgrad student, from academic writing support (if you’ve been out of education for a few years or just want a bit of extra help) to mental health and wellbeing services. The careers support is fantastic – the uni puts on employer fairs throughout the year and you have access to one on one support from the Careers Network team, who can help you develop your skills ready for your next step!”
Emma Sutton // PhD Psychology
The MA Education (Leadership) has been designed to provide a firm basis in theory and evidence for aspiring leaders in education. This leadership may be exercised in schools, colleges or administrating authorities. Leadership may be in the form of direct responsibility for organisational strategy and practice, or it may come in the form of leading professional development.
The knowledge and experience you will gain from this programme will place you in an ideal position to inform leadership for school improvement by using research-based evidence to develop and in some cases, challenge current practices. With a strong focus on connecting research to practice, and using and analysing evidence, this course also provides a firm basis for students wishing to pursue further study on a PhD programme.
- A degree (equivalent to a UK Bachelors Degree of at least 2:2 or above) or a recognised equivalent qualification and this will be a condition of any offer where the degree has not already been awarded.
- 60 postgraduate credits of prior learning or certification (Please see APL guidance below)
- Two references, of which one must be academic (e.g. previous university tutor) and one professional, that confirms your current role in an educational setting and evidences your motivation and ability to study.
- A Personal Statement (minimum 500 – 700 words) on your motivation for and commitment to this programme of study as well as information about your leadership experience in an educational context.